Perhaps we should do away with names altogether?  We could come with an
appropriate symbol, perhaps something from the Lindesfarne Gospels, by which
our pipes would be known.  In conversation we would refer to them as "the pipes
formerly known as Northumbrian Smallpipes."  The NPS would have to have new
badges of office designed and cast to conform with the new name, The Society of
the Pipes Formerly Known as the Northumbrian (Northumberland) Smallpipes."  The
badges would be much larger and require much more silver in the making, but,
and this is the point, they would be much larger and require much more silver.
We would define the pipes in much the same way as the Dandy Dinmont, icon of
Northumberland (Northumbria) replacing the word "dog" with "pipe"....

"The Dandie Dinmont (the bagpipe formerly known as Northumbrian
(Northumberland) smallpipes) is affectionate and fun-loving. It makes a great
companion dog (pipes). Lively, plucky, determined and willful. Independent and
intelligent. Bold yet dignified. Reserved with strangers and protective of
family and home. Good with all well-behaved children and babies as long as they
are raised with them from puppyhood (pipeyhood). Dominance level varies
greatly. Some males can be aggressive with other male dogs (pipes or pipers
depending on context) in the household while females can be snappy and bad
tempered."