From: amble skuse <amble.sk...@googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 10:46:19
To: <nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Subject: [NSP] Re: NSP oil for pipes and key pads

   I was advised to use linseed oil on a flute, is this a big no-no for
   pipes?

   2010/1/13 John Liestman <[1]j...@liestman.com>

     Well, since you asked, I personally use neatsfoot but liquid parafin
     (UK-speak for what US folks call mineral oil) is fine too. In my
     case, I only use it for the wood, since I use non-self-adhesive foam
     pads on my chanter keys (no oil on those). But I really like
     Anthony's notion that if you play frequently, you do not have a
     problem with stuck keys!
     Gibbons, John wrote:

   I can't see LP getting too sticky - I have never noticed that happen.

   There isn't much chemistry can take place, short of lighting it, and
   the volatile components should have been distilled off at the refinery.
   If heavier fractions did build up, the most obvious solvent for
   shifting it would be a fresh dose of LP.
   One for John Liestman perhaps?
   John