Thank you for posting this, Colin.

The V&A's collection of musical instruments is not huge, but the quality of
every item makes this one of the world's major collections. The V&A has been
from its beginnings essentially a museum of applied arts. The presence of
musical instruments, each of which displays the highest quality of manufacture
and decoration, would seem to promote this purpose. However this is not the
view of the current director, Sir Mark Jones, who has taken the decision to
remove the collection from view and place it into storage. Collections rarely
revive from such permanent hibernation and the effects of this move are likely
to be irrevocable.

The fine catalogue of the collection is likely to be O/P . Its non-keyboard
section was written by Anthony Baines, well known to pipers as the author of
'Bagpipes', perhaps the most highly regarded book on the subject. Incidentally
Hugh Cheape adopted the same title for his own excellent book (largely on
Scottish pipes) as a homage to this earlier work.

Signing the petition (link in Colin's mail) will not prevent the closure which
is imminent, but it will indicate displeasure and is worth doing for that
reason.

Francis