I have always given advice on pipemaking matters freely since and before I turned professional in 1978. You can give advice as much as you like but that does not mean that makes any one a better pipemaker as that depends on the individuals skill, aesthetic and business ability whether they take work away from you if you are confident in your own ability. This old attitude of secrecy holds back the development of particular skills especially in a traditional activity like pipemaking where making fortunes through patenting ideas is not likely to happen as in other industries. As Technical Adviser to the NPS until I retired I frequently gave out information on materials and techniques in the aim of improving the standard of pipemaking generally. My own income never suffered as a result.
Colin R

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Salter <bob.sal...@blueyonder.co.uk>
To: nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu
Sent: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 17:05
Subject: [NSP] Pipemaking thread from NPS group

I have been an amateur pipemaker for most of my adult life(quite a long time now). My problem has always, without exception, been lack of good
  information. Pipemakers are, a LITTLE understandably, a secretive
  bunch. I started out with the cocks and bryan book and the wilbert
  garvin book. Anyone I asked advice from was suddenly too busy to be
able to chat. I have given up and gone back to this hobby a great many
  times. Only now, a great number of years later, can I comfortably go
  out and make the wooden parts I need well. Keymaking is still a lost
art to me although Im working on that. The arrival of a nice old myford
  lathe in my workshop I can turn the metal parts I need as well as the
  wood.  There will be no giving this up now whether anyone is prepared
  to help me now or not.

        I dont mean this to be about the nsp in particular, its about
  pipemakers in general. They wish to protect their income I suppose.
  Some sort of information should be recorded for posterity and to
  encourage more amateurs to have a go. Mike Nelsons site is very good
but is sadly incomplete. Its a fun and rewarding hobby which will stay
  with me for the rest of my life

  Bob