From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf Of
Julia Say
Sent: 06 February 2010 10:17
To: nsp; Dru Brooke-Taylor; Richard Shuttleworth
Subject: [NSP] Re: Sliabh na m'bhan (was Gaelic Pronunciation)

On 5 Feb 2010, Richard Shuttleworth wrote:

> Although the tune on page 44 of book 2 is a really nice tune, it isn't
> the same one that caused my original enquiry.

I think it is a relation but where it came from I have no idea.

>your tune (Slievenamon)
> agrees with a tune identified as "Sliabh na mban" in the Roche
>Collection of  Traditional Irish Music, which I have always found to be
>a pretty authentic  book.

The*tune* sung on the contentious clip appears to me to be a version of the
song "Bonny Bunch of Thyme" sung by amongst many others, Ray Fisher. (who a few
folk on here might be interested to know is coming home for the day, today).
I can't speak for the words on the clip since I don't have the Gaelic about any
part of my person (thanks, Matt!)

>I am working from a version that appears in print in the old Billy
>Pigg's Compositions and a Selection of his other Repertoire that was
>produced some years ago by Adrian, Colin, Julia and G Warren (who I
>unfortunately do not know).

I've never met Geoff either, but  in the 1960s he was a member of the London
pipers who travelled north to hear Billy Pigg amongst others. We have
corresponded. In 1990 he kindly presented all his group's transcriptions to the
NPS.
The book you have, Richard, was a very temporary production for one specific
Pipers Gathering. I am currently working on a version of the tune to be
included in a book of Billy's repertoire.

The tune in it may be heard here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le1rntXsDsg

played by Gay McKeon who is the CEO of  the Uilleann Pipers Society (NPI). So
presumably should know.

> Adrian recorded it on his cassette Jane of Biddlestone and called it
> "Sliabh na mban" but with the English subtitle of The Iron Man and
> attributed to Scott Skinner.

I don't know what happened there, I don't have the tape insert to hand, but
Billy played both "The Iron Man" by Scott Skinner, and Sliabh na m'bhan.  He
may have learnt Sliabh.... from the Doonans, again I don't know. There are
recordings of both, which were correctly identified by Adrian in the collection
of material he gave me.

I have looked at various abc versions on the web and not found anything
satisfactory. I also identified the two tunes that John Gibbons mentions.

 Geoff's transcription relies on irregular barring and the abc of it is thus:

X:8278
T:Slieve Na Mon
S:G. Warren
L:1/8
E:14
K:G
.D .G {cd}.c|B3 A/F/ G3 B/d/|{a}g3 a2 g {fg}f d2 B|\
{cd}c3 (3A/B/c/ {de}d3 (3e/d/c/|{Bd}B G {d}c B {F}A3 {F}G2|G4::\ .d .e .f|{a}g3
d{g}f {ef}e d A {Bd}B3 .d .e .f|{a}g3 d{g}f {ef}e {de}d A|\
{Bd}B3 .D .G {cd}.c|B3 A/F/ G3 B/d/|{a}g3 a2 g {fg}f d2 B|\
{cd}c3 (3A/B/c/ {de}d3 (3e/d/c/|{Bd}B G {d}c B {F}A3 {F}G2|G4:|**

There is no time signature. For those unfamiliar with abc, the bits in curly
brackets are grace notes. Ordinary brackets precede triplets.

abc may be found at www.abcnotation.com. The dialect I use is a complicated one
designed for use with abc2mtex - which is where the backslash and asterisk
symbols above come from..

I hope all this is of use / interest to someone

Julia