Ian Lawther wrote:
I've always assumed Holey Ha'penny and as such used to pair it with The Crookit Bawbee. In the late 1970s/early 80s I would dedicated this pairing to the West Midlands Regional Crime Squad which at the time was being investigated for being full of bent coppers.......

poor Matt should have known better than ask for anything conclusive... ;)

I've already suggested a link to either the pub game shove halfpenny, where discs with holes were often used, or possibly the holey dollar (see Wikepedia). Or maybe the tune writer had a sweetheart called Holly Halfpenny and couldn't spell her name?

Anita

--
Anita Evans