Richard,
   If you modify your end plugs so that the outer parts are square, it
   will not roll around in the back of your car.  Also, if you have any
   kind of a carrying strap affixed to it, that to will stop the rolling
   effect.
   Of course, depending on the slope of the river bank, anything will
   roll/fall into the river :-)
   Victor

   On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 12:30, Richard York