     From: bri...@aol.com <bri...@aol.com>
     Subject: [NSP] la Grande Chaine
     To: nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu, bri...@aol.com
     Date: Thursday, 8 July, 2010, 21:23

   La Grande Chaine seems to be a very popular tune on both east and west
   sides of the Atlantic, so I was most surprised, when looking through
   "The Fiddler's Fake Book" , published in 1983, which lists almost 500
   of the most played tunes, not to find it there.   Does anyone have any
   idea when it became popular?   Richard, living in Quebec, maybe you can
   throw some light on this?   I had always assumed that it was an old,
   very traditionally French Canadian.
   Sheila