From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf Of
Francis Wood [oatenp...@googlemail.com]
Sent: 19 December 2010 14:55
To: Richard York
Cc: NSP group
Subject: [NSP] Re: Doubleday et al

On 19 Dec 2010, at 12:55, Richard York wrote:

> It would be interesting to know how many people, either within the North
> Eastern fold or out of it, were first inspired by hearing Mr Pigg's playing,
> though.

Well, me for a start.

Knowing almost nothing about traditional music, and never having heard of
Northumbrian pipes,  I came across the Billy Pigg LP on Leader Records in a
record shop in Colchester. I liked the scholarly presentation with excellent
illustrations and notes by Colin Ross and bought it immediately, thinking I'd
got something fascinating and totally obscure. On the way home, I met the
vicar's wife who said " Oh, I see you've got the Billy Pigg LP!"

I immediately played it to my flat-mate who after a couple of minutes, said
"Do we have to have this on"?

But by then, I was hooked.

Francis