I don't know if there will be a spare set in WV but we can certainly make sure you get a chance to try a set....even if it is only mine!

Ian

Matthew Boris wrote:
   Greetings,
   Just joined the list and thought I'd introduce myself.  I live in
   Northern Virginia currently, previously lived at various points in the
   US, Newfoundland, and the Middle East.
   I'm not an NSP player myself, but it's a subject of interest to me and
   joining the List seemed the best way to learn more.  I currently play
   sackpipa (Swedish bagpipe), and have both an E/A mouthblown cast-resin
   set by Hamon, and am about to take receipt of a D/G bellows-blown set
   by Boris Favre of BC.  I also just picked up a Cushing bellows-blown
   SSP for variety, though I play it with open-fingering.
   I've always liked NSP, ever since I was a teenager skipping class at
   the University of Washington to go listen to old vinyl in the archives
   and stumbled across an old Billy Pigg album.  To this day I still use
   "Wild Hills o' Wannies" as a stock tune on sackpipa, Appalachian
   dulcimer, classical guitar, and pennywhistle.
   I'm not totally sure whether I'll take up NSP at some point.  They do
   seem rather fragile, and the kind of pipe you have to play or mess with
   every single week to keep them hale (which is hard with the sheer
   number of instruments I muck about with).  On the other hand, their
   sound is incredibly distinctive, and the complicated drones and
   multi-keyed chanters do offer a ton of flexibility.
   I will be up at the Upper Potomac Piper's Weekend in West Virginia in a
   couple weeks, so hope to maybe be able to try out an NSP there, as well
   as get as many folks as possible to try my bellows-blown sackpipa.
   Hope to meet some of you there, and look forward to learning more from
   the List,
   -Matthew