Morning Mike - yes this correct.

For a C/G anglo where you are typically playing tunes in G and D (and associated minors) you would want a Bb/F tuning to play with NSP. Unless you know the person you want to play with is in concert F then +20 would also be a very good idea. I have a Bb English concertina but it doesn't get out much because it's in concert pitch and too far from most sets of pipes.

Personally I wouldn't get rid of the bass notes there's a lot of musical room to play in down there. It requires care and sympathy with the drones going ...

Another consideration is that retuning a complete tone is quite invasive - it is possible to get a Bb/F instrument without modification. They are rarer but also cheap because no one else plays in those keys...

I'd have a chat with some like Theo Gibb (www.theboxplace.co.uk) who will be able to give you some options - he has stacks of old lachenal reeds from various restorations. He also knows the basics about pipes - most free reed restoriers won't and has done an excellent restoration job on a couple of concertinas for me already.

cheers

Rob

Quoting Mike Dixon <msdi...@btinternet.com>:

I have a 20 Button Anglo C/G Lachenal which I had for years which I have
done very little with.  I am about to get it serviced ( more like a re-build
I suspect!) and am considering getting it re-tuned to play along with NSP -
either for me to have a go , or to lend to a friend so we can do some duets

Would I be on the right lines to go for F/B Flat?  I suspect at  +20 cents?

We are also looking at removing the bass on the left hand and putting some
accidentals on the right - might be useful as I rarely use the bass buttons
as such

Any thoughts or advice

Thanks

Mike Dixon