From: Richard York [mailto:rich...@lizards.force9.co.uk]
Sent: 07 January 2011 10:02
To: Mike Dixon; NSP group
Subject: Re: [NSP] Re: Concertina Tuning

  Hi Mike,
You have the right man in Colin Dipper!
  A very Rolls Royce of concertina tuners, who 25 years ago rescued my
lovely anglo from a botch job someone else had done, and has looked
after it from time to time ever since.
And on the other hand, you probably already know that unless there's a
good reason for haste, it may be quite a wait before you see it again!
(I've been lucky so far.)

If you're considering getting rid of the bass notes, are these the
buttons you're going to be hanging extra accidentals for the right hand on?
It sounds as if you're playing both English & Anglo systems already, but
to my mind having right hand notes under the left fingers of an anglo
would really be confusing... I find the anglo a very tactile thing,
compared to the more technical logical approach of the English system,
and for me it would upset the lines of treble and bass thinking which
the fingers do almost by themselves.
I'd want to be sure I was gaining more than I was losing. Before I got
my anglo in the first place, someone had tried re-arranging the system,
and given up half-way. Colin has too much experience for that, but I'd
still want to be sure that the gain outweighed the loss.
Best of luck,
Richard

On 06/01/2011 12:36, Mike Dixon wrote:
> Rob
>
> Thanks - Colin Dipper will be doing the work for me ( he has just tweaked
> and sold my English concertina for me which is funding this work!)  so I
> will talk it through with him - I gather he has done similar work for
other
> pipers
>
> I will also have a look at a second hand one as an option - I will have to
> do the sums!
>
> Could you expand on the 'care and sympathy' with the drones?
>
> Cheers
>
> Mike

Behalf