Good stuff Anthony! Those would be the Rolling and Sliding approaches to the Plateau.

On 1/14/2011 3:42 AM, Anthony Robb wrote:
    Thanks John. It's a gem!
    Sunny up here on the plateau.
    Francis
    I agree that this is a wonderful article and would like to add a couple
    of tips which are worth a try:
     1. The gentlest way to close a reed (best with cane but can work for
        composite with care) is to roll it several times between your palms
        (this is a Colin Caisley/Clough tip I believe). It lets the gentle
        warmth and pressure of your hands have a go before resorting to
        more direct sources of heat. .
     2. Pipers playing lots in pubs etc will often find grot
        accumulating between the tongue and body of composite reeds. I find
        that sliding a piece of thin strong paper (80g/sq metre max) very
        carefully up to the bridle then pressing on the toungue fairly
        firmly with the thumb of one hand whilst pulling the paper out with
        the other removes a noticeable amount of muck. I do this with a
        fresh area of paper until the paper comes out clean (usually 2 or 3
        times) This tip came from Colin Ross and though less of a problem
        thanks to the smoking ban I find I need to do it every 6 months or
        so to keep my drone reeds in the Plateau of Stability - I really
        warm to that phrase.

    Please regard these these ideas as complementary therapy to John's
    excellent advice not a challenge to it.
    As aye
    Anthony
    On 12 Jan 2011, at 01:11, John Liestman wrote:
    >  Francis,  you must have the earlier "pre-plateau" version!
    >
    >  I have posted a pdf file version at
    [1]http://www.liestman.com/plateau.pdf  for anyone to read that is so
    inclined. It is called "Drone Reeds and the Plateau of Stability" but
    it is truly the plateau of happiness if you can achieve it! Let me know
    if for some reason the link does not work and I will just email you
    (whoever "you" are . . . or is) a copy.