I appreciate that but it still undermines the whole concept of having a standard anything. I suppose, eventually, we'll reach a stage when it just moves up an entire tone and ad infinitum. To revert to my previous analogy, I've been moaning a pint of beer is too small (as have many others) for years. They still haven't made it bigger though - although they thought about it with those metric glasses.

Colin Hill
----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Gretton" <i...@gretton-willems.com>
To: "'Colin'" <cwh...@santa-fe.freeserve.co.uk>; <nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Monday, February 07, 2011 3:36 PM
Subject: RE: [NSP] Re: Esoteric tuning relationships

What I can never understand is WHY the pitch changes.

Orchestral pitch has become higher because orchestras over the past couple
of hundred years have tended towards increasing "brightness" or "brilliance"
of sound. (Think Boston Symphony versus Chicago Symphony or French
orchestras versus German orchestras.) There is a basic psychological
tendency to associate brightness with higher pitch. Also, players
intuitively feel that sharpness is more acceptable than flatness (which
sounds "sourer" and "wronger") and tend to play "at the top of the note" to
avoid the dreaded flatness. Higher pitched wind instruments are also more
audible within the orchestral matrix. The same tendency applies to choirs,
which generally tend to rise in pitch if not held back by the orchestra (and
the conductor, of course).

In a previous life, I performed on various renaissance wind instruments. The
tendency of the wind ensemble was ALWAYS to go sharp, NEVER flat. As a
cornetto player, I often ended up playing "on my teeth" (i.e. desperately
forced to follow the rising pitch of my colleagues). The only solution -- as
always -- was to force people to "listen to the f***in' bass line!" Since
all the upper parts are essentially overtones of the bass, staying in tune
with the bass is the only way to be in tune. It helps massively if there is
a fixed-pitch keyboard instrument underlying the ensemble, preferably an
organ.

Cheers,

Paul Gretton