To: "Dartmouth NPS" <nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 10:08 AM
Subject: [NSP] Tuning/pitch

  On 7^th Feb Colin Hill wrote:

  What I can never understand is WHY the pitch changes.

  Thanks Paul (Gretton)  for a full & entertaining reply from an
  orchestral point of view.

  From the point of view of pipes we need to remember that in the 20^th
  century professional Northumbrian pipe makers only came in around
  1973/4. Before that David Burleigh was still stuffing animals at the
  Hancock museum and Colin Ross was a lecturer in sculpture/fine art.

  When, in 1967, I first asked about getting a set for myself every reply
  was based on the same advice, 'find some lignum vitae mangle rollers
  and make your own'. Occasionally it was 'find some ebony ledger rulers
  and make your own'.

  I would guess that well over 50 people took this advice and made sets
  at night classes following (more or less) the plans in the Cocks &
  Bryan book.

  The result is that there are a fair few sets around which are (to put
  it kindly) approximations to the plans but many people still stick with
  these sets they or friends have made because they are dear to them.

  I have 8 "F" chanters here at the moment. 4 by professional makers have
  dimensions & hole spacings with 1mm of each other so could be regarded
  as standardised, but the 4 "garden shed" examples vary by up to 5mm
  over the single octave G to g spacings.

  I well understand the frustrations caused by the variations in pipes
  pitch but I suspect the same is true wherever there has been a living
  tradition of people making their own instruments on which to play their
  own music.

  It seems to me that any change towards full standardization to say
  concert F pitch could only come about by destroying 80% or more of
  instruments in existence (perish the thought!).

  Perhaps we just need to accept the situation as it is and make the best
  of it. To be honest I find it all rather wonderful and challenging.

  Cheers

  Anthony