Afternoon Philip - I don't know the dates on the chanters you have seen, I'd be interested to know.

I discussed the design of my big chanter with Colin back in 2001/2002. the original plan was to get ABC# on a triple block at the back with paired C&D on the right and just the single low E on the left. The desire was to play the patterns required for tunes in D & A.

We ended up with ABC on the triple and C# paired with the D. The chanter also arrived with the low G on a 45 degree angle between the E and low A (still played with the thumb).

This has a number of implications:
- The length of the low G key means the key bends - anything other than a direct push in line with key can produce a poor note. - Low G pushes the centre of gravity even further below the right hand; managing the balance of the chanter between the two hands requires more control - Playing AMaj arpeggios is harder than I'd like, the A-C# transition requires a big jump and thumb re-orientation. ABC#D transitions are fine because the B is that bit further round. - Playing low G runs is straight forward.BDG triplets are challenging but achievable. - Playing in C feels easy, the low C is in a very playable position and the CD transition is very straight forward.

Colin stated that the low G arrangement I have was a challenge and took quite a look of work to get right. I got the impression he wouldn't want to do another one. Conversely he was quite pleased with the triple block and I definitely got the impression this would be re-used.

I've had the opportunity to play one of your chanters and I know you're aware of this but it's worth stating for anyone else reading. The position of the key ends in relation to each other and the thumbrest are critical; the distances between them, the relatively heights and lengths of the 'double stack', the angle at which each key is presented and the overall shape of each key end. I have progressively and very minutely remodelled a number of keys to achieve a more ergonomically satisfying layout (it's specific to my hand).

I occasionally get to play the CB arrangement and now find it counter intuitive (but still playable). Once the low A is added I think it begins to make less sense.

Hope this helps

Rob

Quoting Philip Gruar <phi...@gruar.clara.net>:

May I put out a request for opinions from the NSP community? Apologies for raising a subject which has been discussed several times before - though maybe not in precisely the same terms, and I like to keep abreast of the latest thinking among better players than me.

Traditionally, the low B and C on an extended chanter have been arranged with the B on the right and the C on the left, but Colin has pioneered various other arrangements - especially three-key groupings with the order going A,B,C left to right. I think there seems to be a growing opinion that even with just the two low keys, B and C, it is also more convenient to have them with B on the left & C on the right. Having myself recently tried a chanter by Colin with the low keys in that order, I must say it is much more intuitive, but then I've never regularly played one myself with either arrangement - only made them for other people (always the traditional way so far). "Scale order" left to right obviously makes sense when there's also a low C# paired with the D in the right side slot - at least when playing scale passages e.g. in the accompaniment to duet slow airs, though in rapid arpeggio playing it may be better the traditional way. I have just given a customer the choice - he is a very good player, and has been professional on other wind instruments, but he is outside the NSP mainstream and has only ever played a 7-key chanter. I explained the options, and suggested the B-on-the-left arrangement, which after consideration he's gone for - but as I said, without the experience. What do people think?

Philip To get on or off this list see list information at