Just a thought - clarinets have at least two duplicated little-finger keys to help certain passages.

Thomas Green

On 5 May 2011, at 10:10, Philip Gruar wrote:

a.d.s wrote
 Clough played in A maj and C maj. The arrangement of the Clough
arrangement of key's was C low at the left side and B at the right side
 and that would allow player's to play in B and play the Beeswing,
 Underhand and whatever.

Thanks for the replies on and off-list so far.
As expected, there are differing opinions.

Adrian - are you saying that a B left, C right arrangement will make it significantly harder to play Beeswing, Underhand etc? Is the classic CB style essential/desirable for the traditional virtuoso repertoire?

If I start making chanters with BC instead of the traditional CB, am I sending non-standard instruments out into the piping world which will hamper their future owners for years to come? Or will they join Colin's chanters with ABC, low G's etc. as part of the rich tapestry, which players will get used to?

Should pipe-makers adopt a new standard with a left-side low B, but try to make it still just as easy to hit in arpeggios down from G/D as a right-side low B? Maybe this should only be done where there is also a right-side C# paired with D, but not where the C# is on the left?

Philip

----- Original Message ----- From: "a.d.s" <a....@ntlworld.com>