I think Adrian is expressing some of my personal opinion. I think that the NPS has a significant duty to provide information to its membership, particularly new pipers, about the various approaches to piping and to offer encouragement to those who wish to take a disciplined approach to piping. I think some might call this the pursuit of excellence.

The tutor book which indicated a proper style of piping was the product of a former, late 19th C society which did not last very long. I fear that such researches as I have carried to not lead me to suppose that the founders of the NPS (est 1928) were not shining lights in the piping firmament. No wonder Tom Clough could not see the point.

But,

We have a strong piping community
We have a viable society
We have an excellent range of top-class pipers for all tastes
We have several first class exponents of detached playing.
We have pipes that play in tune
We have abundant CDs
We have more tunebooks than most know what to do with

Are we perhaps experiencing the 'penalties of success'

Barry

Ask not what you can do for the NPS but rather what you can do for piping.
Then bang on the NPS door until they give you the wherewithall to do it.

 Quoting Inky- Adrian <inkyadr...@googlemail.com>:

   I don't want a definate rule I would just like thr NPS to acknowledge
   that there is a traditional way of playing the small-pipes which is
   detached. If they don' t, then they are saying that the pipes have no
   playing tradition, therefore I'm playing pipes which are a bastard- no
   lineage of how they are played.