Well the day the NPS starts dictating how I have to play my pipes will be the
day I pick up my chanter and drones and go home. I certainly don't want any
elders of that church telling me about being boiled eternally in hot oil (of
any variety) because of my fingering technique - (forgive me)  - or my taste in
tunes.

Actually the church analogy works pretty well for me, and even though I'm
unreligious I have a perpetual respect for the established Church over here
(i.e. the C of E) which seems to be able to accommodate various shades of
belief (some of whom absolutely hate each other) without actually falling
apart. There is a sense of overall good purpose as well as some lovely
cathedrals and great music. On that topic, by the way,  I prefer the Proper
Tudor stuff and don't like modern carols . . . but there you are.

The C of E has been responsible for burning a few heretics at the stake, but by
and large it has abandoned those practices since they don't attract new
members. It seems to me that there is plenty of room in a healthy NPS for quite
a few different ways of doing things. You can pick your own congregation if you
like the way they do things, and stick with that crowd if it suits you.

I still think a Peacock's Parlour, or alternatively titled area,  would be a
good addition to the grievously under-used NPS forum. I'd continue to use
Dartmouth, which has been a great resource over the years. And I'd stick with
the new Facebook group which I've found really interesting. But I do think that
we need more resources than either can really provide these days and I agree
strongly with what Mike Nelson has said earlier. Neither Dartmouth or FB
provide any permanence for interesting threads. Even more importantly, neither
is good for revising or withdrawing anything which is passionately or unwisely
said . .  which is perhaps what I'm doing right now.

Francis