We had a great "Junuary" session yesterday here in the Pacific
   Northwest.  We had two sessions going at one point with G pipes and
   concertina in one room, and F sets in the other.  Although only one or
   two of the group (not me) can play popping fast runs like Chris,
   Adrian and Alice, we had fun and unselfconsciously played with the best
   technique we can muster, which is our norm.  One of the best pipers
   among us suggested that we, in light of recent discussion here,
   perhaps, play in a more "proper" style than some of the folks in the
   Old Country.  It would never occur to us to distinguish our way of
   playing by calling it "proper."  It is just what it is, and it is as
   "good" as it is because we have had excellent teachers, namely Ian
   Lawther.  I don't fully understand Adrian's argument, and reacted
   to the vitriol more than to the substance (perhaps over-reacted).  At
   any rate, I have a new sense of self-worth as a piper in the
   Northumbrian tradition(s) because of this insight that we here are
   unselfconsciously participating in the tradition(s).  If you were born
   into a Northumbrian musical tradition you are very fortunate, yet there
   is a lot of satisfaction in realizing after decades of wandering in the
   wilderness that we here are not pretenders but members.