Last call for Newcastleton Piping Comps

   Sat 2 July 2011

   When I was asked to judge these again this year I said I was happy to
   do so if the Festival Committee were happy to continue with them, given
   the recent low turnouts for both Border and Northumbrian pipes classes.
   The Committee are willing to give them one more go.

   On the minus side, it is a competition. On the plus side, it has the
   most music-friendly rules of any of the Border piping competitions (of
   which it is one of the oldest) and follows the ethos of many
   Northumbrian piping competitions in that it asks for two contrasting
   tunes rather than something defined by a time limit. Also, although not
   made explicit on the website, the 'Border pipes' category at
   Newcastleton traditionally includes Scottish smallpipes.

   [1]http://www.newcastleton.com/rules.html

   It is also a good place to be on a Summer's day, with sessions,
   concerts, dances and walks by the river. After last year's piping comps
   all the pipers got together for a friendly blether and blaw, and this
   is something which can continue.

   The weather was great last year, though I should perhaps mention the
   possibility of midges.