On 11 Jul 2011, Francis Wood wrote:

>> Wiktionary helpfully gives:
>>
>>> From Dutch ranten, randen ("talk nonsense, rave").

 Well, there you are then. Some might say that covers many posts!

>> Can anybody help to clarify the difference between a Rant and a Rave?

 PA and flashing lights?  E?

>> Or at least, suggest how Rant entered the vocabulary of dance?

 I have several times wondered if there is any connection between the rant's
 appearance in the hills of Northumberland and the religious affiliation
(Scotch
church) of many of the area's people.
 The Ranters were travelling "clergymen" and their followers who held meetings
in
 remote areas away from persecuting eyes. Very illiberal, some of them, but did
the
 name stick after they joined the mainstream?

In respect of posting to this list I am also sometimes reminded of the Hogwarts
motto:

"" Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"

Julia