I do very much agree with what John Gibbons said a few days ago:

> If the NPS offered a trophy of a silver cup full of beer for anyone playing W
> on the W verbatim from memory,
> nobody would ever want to win it. It doesn't work, whether in classical,
> modern or traditional terms.

Is it really possible that Mr. Dunk is being misjudged?

I have two thoughts on this:

- Should there be a 'Dunk Cup’, to be awarded for future attempts at what
Gilbert Askew described as “successful essays in what may be termed the
Northumbrian mode"?
- If 'Whin Shields on the Wall' is regarded as a 'successful essay', what on
earth would an unsuccessful essay be like?

I look forward to hearing Dave Shaw's recomposition of the piece. We can then
compare it with Askew's own.

Francis