From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] on behalf of cwhill
[cwh...@santa-fe.freeserve.co.uk]
Sent: 13 November 2011 22:14
To: NSP group
Cc: NSP group
Subject: [NSP] Re: flat chanter in the middle

I'm presuming that both g notes are actually sounding the proper note?
I know you have said they are correct to the drones but those particular
notes sound terrible if the drones are just a wee bit off. Do you have
access to a tuner? I'd check that the g's on the chanter and drones are
actually playing the same note and then check the middle notes to see if
they are actually "off" (to the d/D drones).
Even the best ears can have off days.
Did you make or buy the reed? There's always a little work today on a
bought reed to get it to suit your own chanter. Even home made ones can
seem fine but do that. I forget how I fixed mine (a long time ago now)
but I never got it spot on.
When Colin Ross refettled my pipes and made me a new reed for them that
problem vanished completely (before I had to just add a little pressure
whenever I played a certain note). I'm afraid my unwarranted pride in
making a (nearly) good reed took over from common sense :)

Colin Hill

-----