I'm trying to make myself some elder drone reeds, partly through
   curiosity to see what they sound like, partly because while post-flu
   clumsy I sadly destroyed my existing small d one recently.
   I know it's a skill, I know I'll probably get there eventually: others
   have done so, and probably a lot faster!
   What I'm struck with is just how persistent the original makers of such
   reeds must have been - they hadn't got good and helpful people to turn
   to who'd already done it, so they weren't even sure it would work, yet
   they kept on. OK, so you try it a few times, it doesn't work, the
   average human being concludes it ain't going to, and moves onto the
   next thing, but they went on in either sheer bloody-mindedness or
   conviction of something.
   In fact there's a lot about instrument making in general, and pipes
   making in particular, which only works once several variables are all
   working right at the same time, so feeling post-flu philosophical, I
   keep on being reminded just how important making music, and making The
   Right Sound is, that people who invented all this stuff did simply
   persevere until the thing worked!
   Richard, still in slightly surreal mode.