Here is a message from Chris Ormston, who has graciously agreed to make
   the selection this month:

   John has asked me to select the theme for January's TOTM. In keeping
   with previous months, I've chosen something to appeal to both
   Northumberland pipers and Border pipers (though I'm aware that this
   trend effectively excludes most tunes that came into the smallpipe
   repertoire after 1810! - future selectors may wish to bear this in
   mind)

   The theme I've chosen is Highland Laddie. There are at least two
   strands here, Highland Laddie and New Highland Laddie, so there's
   plenty of scope for contributions. Examples I can think of include the
   GHB quickstep Highland Laddie, The Bonny Lass of Livingston, Dixon's
   Highland Laddie, and Peacock & Clough Family settings of New Highland
   Laddie.

   Be careful though; New Highland Laddie was the last tune played by
   'Old' Thomas Clough (II) before his death, and Tom (III) once remarked
   that Henry Clough played it beautifully one evening, and the next day
   he was dead! The superstitious amongst you will be relieved to know
   that the last tune played by 'Young' Tom (IV) was not Highland Laddie,
   but Nae Guid Luck!

   Looking forward to your contributions,

   Chris