On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 6:21 PM, John Dally <[1]dir...@gmail.com>
   wrote:

     Of course, you could play Dixon's tunes
     in Ionian (major scale), playing F# instead of an Fnat in the key of
     G, but the purest might consider that a cop-out if not down right

     wrong.

   The purest of the pure?
   It's played in G major (with F#) on NSP, and arguably Dixon would have
   played it in the same mode, whatever his instrument and its actual or
   nominal pitch. This corresponds to Dick Hensold's view and I agree with
   him about many of the tunes which he has suggested are (Northumbrian)
   smallpipe tunes. I did not feel comfortable in changing Mr Dixon's
   notation but I did signal this ambiguity.