If it's in tune, and if it makes life easier, use it.

   On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 6:08 PM, Kevin <[1]tilb...@yahoo.com> wrote:

       Hi to All,
       I am curious to know if any of the pipers who play open-ended
     pipes,
       such as the Border Pipes, mouth blown of with bellows, use or have
     come
       across a finger style/position that use a 'closed fingering' for
     the
       top A (or top note of your chanter). I am not taking about notes
     above
       the octave.
        I got my Border pipe chanter in the early 90s, tuned in A and
     plays 9
       notes, it has a sharpened 7th (G#) hole and can get a G natural by
       cross fingering.
       The top A note is/was obtained by lifting the top hand off but
     keeping
       the ring finger down as in the Highland finger position (i believe
     this
       to be the standard way to get the top note: [bottom hand] oxxx
     [top
       hand] xoo o).
       But, recently I have come across a different and what seems to me
       easier way of playing a top A which is in keeping with the 'closed
       fingering' of the Northumbrian/Scottish Border tradition, and i am
       wondering if anyone has used or uses this fingering style?
       the top A would be played like this: oxxx xxx o
       i have been trying  this out on various tunes i play on the Border
       pipes from Peacock, Bewick, Dixon etc. and this finger style for
     the
       top A goes very well with a lot if not all of  the tunes.
       if your chanter is a little sharp in the top A, this will
     flattening it
       a fraction, which can add colour to the melody as well as putting
     a out
       of tune chanter in tune!
       if you have a G natural hole/note, without cross fingering, the
     runs
       are easy to play as well, but what i find 'natural' to finger, is
     the
       tunes where there are jumps from the lower notes to the top A or
     from a
       high A down to the lower notes, such tunes as Newmarket Races,
     Blackett
       of Wylam...the list is endless... one can play these jumps without
       leaving go of the chanter with the top hand, a lot steadier and
     notes
       are obtained faster.
       By playing both finger positions for top A, (often in the same
     tune
       depending on runs and note order) can add to a versatile
     technique,
       also a leap from cross fingering to closed fingering (Border Pipes
       Northumbrian Small Pipe) is a step closer (?).
       I am still experimenting with this finger position but i find i am
       naturally using it with out much difficulty for my chanter, it
     would
       make life easier if i had a chanter with a G natural hole, but
     when i
       play G# the top A is not so difficult to play, by alternating the
     top A
       finger positions I find playing the difficult passages more
     steadier
       and quicker (i consider myself having a slow tempo).
        I would be curious to know if any of the chanters who model their
       style on european fingering use this finger position? such as the
     John
       Swayne chanters?
       Best wishes,
       Kevin