from The Daily Telegraph (London,Eng.) , Obituaries, Wed., Sept 27, 1989:

"Wally" Floody, who has died in Toronto aged 71, was the architect of the
celebrated "Great Escape" from Stalag Luft 3 at Sagan in Silesia in 1944,
and later gave technical advice of the much-televised film of that name.
    Floody surveyed, designed and engineered the tunnel through which 76 RAF
and other Allied prisoners made their escape. His role in the project was so
highly valued that the camp's leaders forbade him to join an earlier escape
attempt with a delousing party.
    "We need you for the tunnels," he was told.    " God I am sick of them,"
he complained. "I seem to spend my life down a stinking hole in the ground.
I want a change."
    A large man of six foot three, Floody was a ferocious digger in the
sandy and treacherous soil and was twice almost killed underground. On the
1st occasion he was buried under nearly half a ton of sand. On the 2nd he
was crawling naked through a tunnel when a section of it collapsed on him;
luckily his face was just over a trap  door to a secret shaft, so he could
breath , and he was rescued after an hour's frantic digging.
    After putting so much effort into the design and digging of the camp's 3
tunnels-Tom, Dick & Harry- Floody was disappointed not to take part in the
Great Escape.
    Shortly before the break-out he was moved to a nearby camp at Beria, and
so avoided the fate of 50 of his felloow prisoners, who were recaptured and
murdered on Hitler's orders.
    Clark Wallace Floody was born at Chatham, Ontario, on Ap 28 1918 and
educated at the Northern Vocational School. He then entered the mining
industry at Kirkland Lake, Ontario, which gave him the expertise so valuable
in the prison camp.
    Commissioned into the RCAF as a pilot officer in 1941, Floody joined
No.401 Squadron (formerly No 1 Squadron RCAF); he was promoted to the rank
of Flight-Lt while a POW.
    That Oct, a month after he'd joined the squadron, it's Spitfire Vbs -
together with two other squadrons of the Biggin Hill Spitfire wing-  were
bounced by enemy FW190 and ME109 fighters while on an offensive sweep over
Nieuport and Gravelines in France. Floody baled (sic) out and was captured.
    The tunnel scheme began while the Germans were preparing a new compound
at the camp, and Floody was all for it from the start. Seven hundred
prisoners moved in on April 1 1943, and by April 11 sites for the traps of
three major tunnels had been selected.
    In the event the escape took place on March 24 1944, through "Harry". To
keep the tunnel straight-  it was 336 ft long  and almost 30 ft deep-was a
considerable engineering feat for which Floody was chiefly responsible.
    After the 1939-45 War he gave evidence at the Nuremburg Trials, before
launching himself into a hectic entrepeneurial career in Canada,
    Floody built up and sold numerous small businesses and was chief
executive of several trade associations, including those for florists and
the bottlers of carbonated beverages. He also helped to found the Royal
Canadian Air Force Prisoners of War Assocciation and was indefatigable in
his work for less fortunate members.
    He is survived by his wife Betty, whom he married in 1940, and their 2
sons. "

                                                                 -30-