An obituary appeared in the Chronicle Herald edition of 19 November 1975.
The microfilm image is very poor, I will send it separately. Here is my
transcription; there may be errors.

Valley educator dies in Wolfville

Wolfville - Funeral service will be held Thursday for prominent Valley
educator Orville Rex Porter, 62, who died Monday at home here.

Born in Wolfville, he was a son of the late Grant and Edna Porter.

He graduated from Acadia University with a BA in 1934 and became principal
of Aylesford School the same year. He was awarded an MA in 1937, and also
held a Bachelor of Pedagogy Degree from University of Toronto. In 1967, he
completed requirements for a Doctor of Education degree at Toronto

Mr. Porter enrolled in a program of adult education at Ontario Institute in
Education (1966-71). During six summers, he visited European adult
education centres, (England, France, Denmark, Sweden, and Austria). In
1970, he represented Nova Scotia at the 13th Salsburg discussions of
leaders in adult education, at Haus Fief.

He received the Centennial Medal in 1967.

Mr. Porter, whose teaching career opened 40 years, ago became
vice-principal of Wolfville schools in 1937 and supervisor from 1940-1970.

He organized and taught school bands for 35 years and since 1942 was a
member of the Canadian Bandmasters Association.

He also organized a cadet corps and was a cadet instructor for 27 years,
retiring with rank of captain. He was a past national president life member
of Cadet Services of Canada Corps Association. He received the Canada
Decoration in 1961.

Mr. Porter organized and was scout master of the Second Wolfville Boy Scout
Troop. He was past president of the Wolfville Rotary Club (for 18 years was
chairman of the club's Ridge Stile Park committee), was past president of
East Kings Local, Nova Scotia Teachers Union, and past president of Kings
County Home and School Association. He was past master of St. George's
Lodge No. 20 AF ad AM; member, board of directors of N.S. Society for Care
of Crippled Children.

He served on Eastern Kings Memorial Hospital board; advisory board Fundy
Mental Health Clinic; Wolfville United Baptist church board of management;
Kings District Boy Scout Council; Dental Clinic board; pension commission;
N.S. Teachers. Professional committee, NSTU.

As a Kings County Amalgamated School Board supervisor, Mr. Porter developed
a county adult educational program serving 2,000 students in 150 classes;
administered a driver education program; supervised the vocational school
since amalgamation; supervised home economics. industrial arts, music,
guidance, library, and physical education programs.

Surviving besides his wife, the former Ruth Ingraham, is a daughter, Mrs.
Carolyn M. Eaves, Toronto.

The body is at the family residence. Funeral service will be held 2 p.m.
Thursday in Wolfville Baptist Church, Rev. Neil Price and Dr. George Levy
officiating. Burial will be in Willowbank cemetery.

There is an interesting article about Mr. Porter available on-line at

L. Harvie