OK, so I've found a terribly trivial workaround. Googling, I found this
issue also for Nautilus, when started as root. But it only appears when
there is *an empty DVD (or CD) in the drive*!! It's apparently a glib
bug.

So the workaround is easy: pop your DVD drive! Worked wonders for me
(after stealing an hour from my evening last night...).

--
simple-backup-config [sbackup] crashes (seg-fault)
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/271522