I think I understood what happened.
You played with the purge options and set the backup folder to your official
one. Then you launched a backup.
You might have set the purge to either logarithmic or simple cut backup older
than, let's say 7 days. So your Sbackup snapshot might have fall into those
conditions and thus have been removed.

Anyway, what  think you should do is setting a new test folder, when you
play with options of any backup software (that has a purge capability).

I am very sorry for what happened to your backups :-( .

Note: if you think that my comment makes since, shall I mark this report
as Invalid ?

--
deletes incremental backups left by sbackup
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/337269