The display works now, thanks. Means, I can enter any valid time.
However, the known problem persists, that it simply does not work, i.e.,
no backup is performed when the specified time is reached. May the
problem be connected to this fix? Do I need to log out and back in, for
schedule changes to take effect? Do I need to create a profile for the
schedule to take effect?

If these questions are not related to this problem, I'll open a new bug
report or post in the correct existing ones.

--
Maximum specific time is 13:49?
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/428341