Additional notes to my own mail:

Maybe it would be reasonable to remove the choices (recommended, custom,
manual) from the main page and introduce a toolbar button/menu entry
instead. The toolbar button could provide functionality like 'Set
default settings now'. If the user presses it, a dialog window appears:
'This will replace your current settings with the recommended default
values. Check them before you save the configuration.'

Doing so, we would just modify the way to access the creation of a new
configuration with the defaults. However, such button would be much more
intuitive and differences for root/non-root users were easier to handle.

Ok, we would break the UI from the last Release candidate but frankly
we're not really ready for RCs yet.

Good night.
Jean-Peer