On 23/08/10 10:55, Jean-Peer Lorenz wrote:
Von: Jean-Peer Lorenz<peer....@gmx.net>
An: Anton Feenstra<feens...@few.vu.nl>
Betreff: Re: Logarithmic purge disabled
Datum: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 10:54:16 +0200

Good morning Anton,

Thank you for looking into SBackup and your bug tracking. Another
maintainer able to fix minor flaws would be great. Software maintenance
is really time consuming.

You're welcome!

I'm sorry to tell you, that I've already fixed the purge issue. I'll
prepare an updated release within the next days. I've re-implemented it
similar to the simple purge: only freestanding snapshots are removed and
the removal process is repeated until no freestanding snapshot or at
least 1 snapshot remain (within a certain period).

Great to have this fixed, as this was keeping me back from using nssbackup.

Basically, this is now again the old sbackup behaviour, is that right?

The more I think about rebasing of snapshots, the more I dislike the
whole idea. It is always dangerous to modify backuped data, even more if
it stored in 'foreign' formats (here tar). Moreover, the current
implementation of writing TAR snapshot files (snar files) contains
errors and updating tarballs in only possible for uncompressed tars. So,
I consider to cut rebasing completely. But that's another story...

Yes, that was also my feeling when this rebasing was discussed on the nssbackup-team.

--
Groetjes,

Anton
| / \ / \'| | | IBIVU/Bioinformatics - Free University  Amsterdam     |
|(   |   )| | | De Boelelaan 1083A - 1081 HV Amsterdam - Netherlands  |
| \_/ \_/ | | | Tel +31 20 59 87783 - Fax +31 20 59 87653 - Room P136 |
|             | feens...@few.vu.nl - www.few.vu.nl/~feenstra/         |
|             | "Interfacing Space and Beyond..." (P. J. Harvey)      |