Question #143229 on Simple Backup changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/sbackup/+question/143229

Jean-Peer Lorenz posted a new comment:
Hi Jeff,

thanks for answering this question. You're absolutely right. Currently
only disks and remote shares are supported. However, sbackup uses TAR
internally which is able to write to tape drives directly.
Unfortunately, I've no knowledge of using tape drives with TAR nor a
drive available for some tests. I guess it should be sufficient to adapt
some of TAR's commandline options (generated by sbackup; sbackup is more
or less a wrapper script around TAR) to get tape support into sbackup.
Any help in this regard, e.g. a shell script which shows basic steps to
get TAR working with a tape drive, would be highly appreciated.

> :todo: Think about a plugins system that will be used to export on TAPE, on
> DVD and so on.
There are a bunch of more important things to do before a DVD export plugin
should/could be implemented. Moreover, I think it's not that important to be
able to burn disc directly from sbackup. Proper archive splitting should do it.
A 'tape export' shouldn't be necessary since TAR is able to handle tape drives
though we'd need help to implement it.

Best regards.
jean-peer (maintainer/developer).

Simple Backup Maintainers, which is an answer contact for Simple Backup.