On Wed, 10 Sep 2003, Andreas Gschwendtner wrote:
> -- \placefigure (caption) question #1:
> For some of my figures I want to have captions _below_ the figure, but
> the caption should be wider than the figure itself (if the figure is
> 0.5\textwidth and centered, I want the caption to be 0.9\textwidth or
> even \textwidth). How do I do that?

Took me a year and a half to find out about this one, but this works for
me now:

\setupcaptions
        [width=\textwidth, % makes caption as wide as text
         align=middle]  % aligns caption in the middle (of text + pic)

Note: all my captions (figures + tables) are under the pictures; as I
haven't done anything about it, I'd assume it being the default setting.

Mari

PS. While I cannot share the contents of my ConTeXt files at this point,
I'll be glad to send you the setup part of my file(s) - although I don't
probably do very "beautiful" ConTeXt code here, it is fairly simple and
well documented (as others will need to understand it as well).