At 13:08 15/09/2003 -0300, you wrote:
I don't normally use Win32, but I want to convert our 4AllTeX addicts to
TeX Live 2003.  In testing release candidates, I encountered a few
problems with context and texexec.  The most recent tests were with the
Sept. 5 release candidate (using the "install" CD).

1.  on Win32, kpsewhich often fails to find texexec.ini.  I created a
texexec.ini in texmf-var/context/config and verified that it is listed in
the ls-R. My conjecture is that this failure occurs if and only if the
final component of the nme of the current working directory contains an
embedded space, e.g., "C:\My Documents".  Texexec takes a very long time
to run (searching the texmf trees on an unloved and unwanted PIII 300mhz),
so I haven't done a lot of testing/debugging.  I haven't encountered any
other kpathsea failures.  I can work around this by tweaking texexec.pl,
but it would be comforting to have an explanation.

2.  ConTeXt texexec uses $ENV{"HOME"} to set a value in filename.tmp,
e.g., on unix:

$ cat try.tex
\starttext
\input story
\stoptext
$ texexec try
$ cat try.tmp
% try.top
\unprotect
\setupsystem[\c!gebied={/user/gwhite/}]  %---- set from $ENV{"HOME"}
\setupsystem[\c!n=1]
\setupsystem[inputfile=try.tex]
\protect

If, e.g. HOME="/x y", the formatted document gets an extra page containing
"y//cont-err".

On Win32, it seems common to have spaces in "%HOME%".  In particular, for
WinXP, a value appears to be constructed by the texexec.ini binary
(created using irun) if %HOME% is not set.  I can work around this by
asking users to explicitly set HOME to something safe.

can you check what happens when you add "" around the path? If i'm right, (i'll upload new binaries when some patch is done) the win binaries now accept

\input "some path"

(not sure if \input "some path"/somefile also works; can you test that?)

                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | [EMAIL PROTECTED]