At 10:48 17/09/2003 +0200, you wrote:
Similar to what you wrote:

\starttabulate
\NC test \NC
Some text here, perhaps followed by an itemized list an a table
\startitemize
\item first item
\item second item
\stopitemize

And some specifications in the following table:
\starttabulatea
\NC col1 row1 \NC col2 \NC\NR
\stoptabulate
\NC\NR
\stoptabulate

I tried a tabulate  inside the tabulate as I was not sure that the
table being a float would be moved somewhere else. Basically what I am
trying to do is similar to HTML layout using nested tables within a
running text.

in that case use the bTABLE .. eTABLE alternative which can handle nested tables given that they are {grouped}

                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | [EMAIL PROTECTED]