> Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 01:27:34 +0100
> From: Giuseppe Bilotta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re[2]: [NTG-context] ConTeXt Switcher?
>
> Not that I see the purpose of using Word in the frist place.
> Any decent editor has enough macro power to do the same.
>
> --
> Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

You missed the point. You markup and style your document using Word
styles, and then XML is a matter of search and replace. I am not interested
in Word per se, but I find using emacs to insert markup during document
creation gets in the way of my thought processes. This way I can push markup
worries to the editorial stage.

People are fond of pointing out Words vices, and I wouldn't quibble with
arguments about its stability, but it is about time OpenOffice and its ilk
stopped resting on their laurels and started implementing some macro
capability. I notice that AbiWord has a DocBook output format, but how well
integrated this is I don't know.

On Micro$oft's part if they had some real competition a real market in
third-party templates might arrive. As it stands I have a 50% solution that
handles footnotes and lists, but re-distribution is hampered by the way Word
handles its templates and virus worries. Theoretically I could do tables and
limited image markup using the same techniques. Leveraging the visual layout
tools of a word-processor makes so much sense I wonder at the mentality of
people still struggling with text-editors. I have emacs set up on my
machine, but it really looks like back to the future from my point of view.
I use WinEdt when I'm booted into Windows.

btw you can use the same technique to generate native Context markup. It
needs hand-editting, but as a rough draft, this works fine for me, and I
don't have to re-invent the wheel every time I have a new document.

Christopher