Hi Willi,

Thanks for the examples, they'll sure be useful. But I realize I have not been precise enough in my post. The point is that

\startMPcode
 fill fullcircle scaled 1cm withcolor red ;
\stopMPcode

works, while

\startMPcode
 label.top("Some label", (1cm,1cm)) ;
\stopMPcode

produces some garbage between "Some" and "label", and

\startMPcode
 label.top(btex Some label etex, (1cm,1cm)) ;
\stopMPcode

doesn't work at all.

Sorry for being that vague.

David