Hi Stefan,

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 11:40:20AM +0100, Stefan Wachter wrote:
> 1. Does anyone know how to use the 14 PDF standard fonts (Courier,
> Helvetica, Times (each in 4 faces), Symbol, and ITC-Zapf) in ConTeXt?
I once knew it, but forgot :( Once it apparently worked with
\usetypescriptfile[type-enc]
\setupbodyfont[Times]
but that was a while ago and seems to be broken when I tried it today.
I use my own typescript file for the URW version of these (actually,
there is GPLed Base35 version, which includes the 35 standard fonts
and an AFPLed Base80(!) version, which includes quite some other
standard fonts. Including Univers (which is nice, because it is the
CI font of our university) and Optima clones. I can only praise them.
Once I finish the typescript for the Base80 (I only have on for the
Base40something), I can put it up on the web as well, if list members
are interested.

> 2. Does anyone know how pdfTeX can be instructed not to embed them?
Yes, the LaTeX psnfss manual says that psnfss.map does not embed them.
So I guess changing the corresponding lines in your pdftex.map, e.g.
from:
phvb8r Helvetica-Bold "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc
to:
hvb Helvetica-Bold " TeXnANSIEncoding ReEncodeFont " <texnansi.enc

should work. But use it with caution, as George white points out
in http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.context/13795/:

: Hans has demonstated that even the Adobe fonts don't have the same
: metrics.  It should also be noted that in practice, if you don't embed
: fonts, you will often get font substitutions in the PS rasterizer (e.g.,
: ghostscript defaults will use URW fonts where the file requests a Base35
: font, current acrobat reader will use Arial where the file requests
: Helvetica, some printers with clone interpreters (many recent HP models)
: use "clone" fonts.

> PS (Background): I am creating lots of small PDF documents where font
> embedding would create prohibitive large documents.
Well, try it and see if it is worth it. I for one surely would not
want to see Arial on screen or paper when I intended it to be Helvetica.

Greetings,
             Alex