Taco Hoekwater wrote:
For a larger project with ConTeXt that should not depend on
the availability of perl. We needed a very large section of
Texutil (--ref and --figures), so it made sense to port the
entire program to C.

What about using another script language like TCL that can be
made into a single file executable? The dependency seems to be "no external reference" and not "no perl" -- isn't it possible to compile a perl prog into an executable?

Essentially, we will have TeX and Texutil and bits of Texexec
in a single executable, completely without disk-based
versions of the tui and tuo file.

Will this be available for the public? From time to time the question aroses on this list to get a ConTeXt environment without installing a full TeX distribution -- maybe you will have the answer to this :-)

Uwe

--
voiceINTERconnect www.voiceinterconnect.de
... smart speech applications from germany