> Is there some way of telling startcases/stopcases to behave in
display
> mode?

Yup, I just changed a couple of things and now we have a
\startbigcases ... \stopbigcases for this. Will upload new
version soon.

Oh, great! I'm really looking forward to get this new version. By the way, would you be so kind to include some multiline equation environment? Something like (or better than)

\[
 first part of very long equation
 \eqbreak
 second part of very long equation
 \eqbreak
 third part of very long equation
\]

which I achieve at the moment by doing

\[
 \startalign
   first part of very long equation
   \hskip 1.5em
   \\ \hfill
   second part of very long equation
   \\ \hfill
   third and part of very long equation
 \stopalign
\]

But this does not work as well I wish. I'd like to substitute the '\hskip 1.5 em' after the first line for a '\hfill' so that it always be the leftmost line, but the latter does nothing at all. So I have to put a '\hskip' and tweak the distance by hand.

Thanks for you help,