[...]

> but I cannot place a blue thing in the background...I have some overlay
> with a blue strip I wan to put in the background and it won't come up,
> another overlay in the normal text area goes fine...

You might think of posting the not-working file, so we could see what
is going wrong.

> this morning some message saying something about the background was
> issued but I deleted it (-gasp-)

You know about <URL:news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.context>?

> when new distributions come into place...is there anything like an
> standard (automatic) battery of tests (making some documents...or so...)
> which is performed?

Good question. I have problems generating the manual documentation
once in a while, so I guess these aren't used for the test :-)

Patrick
--
texshow-web:  http://members.ping.de:8061
ConTeXt wiki: http://members.ping.de:8062