dr. Hans van der Meer wrote:

On 26-jun-04, at 20:13, Hans Hagen Outside wrote:

dr. Hans van der Meer wrote:

Hans,

I definitely see problems with the \starttextbackground[]-\stoptextbackground environment (discussed in the "displays"-brochure).

When the textbackground falls at a page crossing -- i.e. starts at the top of a page -- the coloring extends backwards on the page just left.
It can be remedied by putting a \null just in front of \starttextbackground. The extra vertical space this introduces just manages to constrain the background to its own page. However, this is not a general solution, on other places the extra vertical space is certainly not wanted.

I cannot find the exact nature of the problem. I suspect it has to do with the \output-routines, but these are not my speciality, to say the least. So, not much help there,

Also, the \starttextbackground does not respect footnotes, these are colored. In contrast, the old \startbackground-\stopbackground does respect footnotes. The coloring stops at the footnote and restarts at the next page. I should like that for \starttextbackground as well.

can you make me a minimal example of where things go wrong (keep in mind that there are two methods, tex and paragraph)
with respect to footnotes, maybe i can make that an option (there are more exceptions)
Hans

Here is the smallest one I could construct that shows the page crossing effect. I used the "location=paragraph". With "location=text" I did not experiment.
Here follows the code:

% testing textbackgroundcolor
\setupbodyfont[12pt]    % using the default cmr font
\setuppapersize[S6][S6]
\setuplayout[width=middle,location=middle,header=0pt,footer=4ex]
\setuppagenumbering[location={footer,inright},alternative=singlesided]
%
\setupcolors [state=start]
\definecolor [lavender]        [r=.901961,g=.901961,b=.980392]
\definecolor [lavenderblush]    [r=1,g=.941176,b=.960784]
% general page coloring

\setupbackgrounds[page][background=color,backgroundcolor=lavenderblush]
%
% special background coloring for parts of the text
\definetextbackground[A][frame=off,location=paragraph,
    backgroundcolor=lavender,backgroundoffset=0pt]
\starttext
%
\dorecurse{10}{Some text that must fill a portion of the page. }\par
\dorecurse{10}{Some text that must fill a portion of the page. }\par
\dorecurse{10}{Some text that must fill a portion of the page. }\par
%
% WITH 8 AND 9 IN THE NEXT RECURSION THE FIRST PARAGRAPH ON PAGE 2 HAS
% THE BACKGROUND COLORED BUT THE WHITESPACE BELOW THE LAST PARAGRAPH ON
% PAGE 1 IS COLORED TOO.
% CHANGE THE 8/9 TO 10 AND THE COLORING ON PAGE 1 DISPAPPEARS.
% I HAVE BECOME ACROSS SITUATIONS WERE THE COLORING EXTENDED STILL
% FURTHER BACK OVER MORE PRECEDING PARAGRAPHS, BUT IT IS DIFFICULT TO
% CONSTRUCT A MINIMAL EXAMPLE FOR THAT.
\dorecurse{9}{Some text that must fill a portion of the page. }\par
%
% THIS SHOULD COLOR THE FIRST PARAGRAPH ON PAGE 2
\starttextbackground[A]
\dorecurse{5}{Text with the background. }
\stoptextbackground
\dorecurse{10}{Some text that must fill a portion of the page. }\par
%
\stoptext

I hope you can find what causes it, because I like the effects.

i think i found a way out and will send you a test file