Hello, all--

After purchasing the FontSite 500 CD, I wanted to make good use of some
of the nice text fonts it contains--in particular I wanted to create
TeX virtual fonts that would add ff, ffi, and ffl ligatures and
replace the ugly ( ;-) ) lining numerals with old-style figures.

After considerable effort I figured out how to edit the VPL files for
the desired effect. I also wrote a Python script to automate the
process, though it may well not work for anyone else. Anyway, since
I have found very little documentation on virtual fonts, I thought
others might benefit from my experience, so I wrote up the procedure
and posted in the (new) TeX Tips section of my Web site.

So, if anyone is interested in this subject, have a look at

  http://havenrock.com/textips/bookfonts.html

Please let me know if you find any errors or points that need to be
clarified.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.