Hi,

[...]

> (I do not know how TeX code is debugged and what tools are
> available for that task.)

There are no tools for problems like yours. So it is very important to
have a minimum (non-) working file file.

>  > btw: with the error related to other files in the directory: did you
>  > run texutil --purgeall for testing?
>
> Yes, I removed all temporary files. But the strange behaviour remains:
> when all images except that of the used external figure are removed
> then the error disappears.

This is strange, I cannot reproduce the bug here. But let us wait to
see if Hans has anything to say about the error file.

Patrick
--
ConTeXt wiki: http://contextgarden.net
texshow-web:  http://texshow.contextgarden.net