Ach.

I have fixed my second problem with missing register entries - I was using a header defined as a derivative of \chapter as the heading of my table of contents, rather than a derivative of \title which it should have been. Making that change fixed things.

Oddly, the output from texutil is still saying

      register entries : 0 -> 0 entries 0 references

despite the fact that a full table of contents is now showing up. One of the reasons I didn't find how to fix this earlier was that I was looking in the wrong place, and that is partly because that message made me assume that register entries were missing, when apparently they weren't.

Did I misunderstand what this message means, or is it a feedback bug?

Thanks for all the help,

Duncan