Rob Ermers wrote:

Thanks for your quick reply. I adapted the file, according to your suggestion. The letter now comes out right! Thank you for that. I immediately tried an items list, which also works!

Still, if there is any \ code in the xml file, it does not seem to work.
Changing \"e to ë in Drie\"eenheid makes the ë disappear.

<contact ...>
</contact>

comes out as:

Laan der Drie“”eenheid

I also found out that \usemodule[m-letter] works much better than \usemodule[letter], which is not evident from the way is Context set up.

maybe your local m-letter-re gets loaded otherwise